Wednesday 23 March 2016

From The Ground Up - Vol. 1 "Battlecruiser in a Bottle"


    Welcome to a new semi-regular article wherein my exploits and adventures in the art of scratch-building are made known! I thought "From The Ground Up" was a fitting title as most of the materials I use are found literally lying on the ground somewhere on my daily travels. I've been amassing quite a collection and no doubt to an outsider I would seem insane, but you know the old saying: "One man's trash is another man's VB Class Industrial Freighter..." Let's git garn shall we?

"How are you going to get THAT in THERE?" Pt.1


    Various 'that's what she said' jokes aside, I found that questions of this nature were a reoccurring theme throughout my latest galactic venture. Everyone should be familiar with the old ship-in-a-bottle concept, yes? Well, I figured I'd give it a crack. So sit down, get comfortable, make yourself a cup of tea and have a nice, long and learned look at my aforementioned crack:


    Sorry about the horrible photos, the light in my room is awful and the camera refused to focus correctly! It was a bloody fiddly ordeal constructing this little bastard and there was no shortage of incidences involving far too much glue, far too little accuracy, and far too many fingers. Nonetheless, have at a couple of photos of what it looked like before I decided to get sloppin'...


 Now it's time to work on the base/enclosure! I'm going with the idea of hiding the wire with cotton fibre in a trail of smoke leading down to a dome at the bottom, painted to represent a planet. Who knows if I'll ever actually house it in the bottle but at this point I'm preeeeetty sure it still fits.
    Well, I've got a lot more that I've been sticking together as of late, so expect another installment of From The Ground Up very soon!

- The Witchfinder In General.




1 comment: